Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

I have searched you out

The funeral of our beloved friend Nancy Rovira Psalm 139:1-18, John 14:1-7
She was a gorgeous person
both physically
and to so many of us
her gift to us
was just
…well, the way she gave herself
Unconditionally, unremittingly
with wisdom, grace and kindness.
Lest I do
what we often do at funerals
and paint her as Saint Nancy
I do recall one incident
where she actually got cross with someone
and told them
"Enough is enough!"
But only one!
And she did not do it lightly, or selfishly
but in a considered way after much thought.
She was for me ( and I know for many others)
a great Counsellor,
the person who I turned to, to pray for the core stuff of my ministry,
I will miss this.
But know she prays for me still.
Nancy's faith story is a wonderful one.
A person who came to faith in later life
and came to know Jesus so powerfully
that everything she did was coloured
by her relationship with Jesus.
She did everything she could to help people find that same relationship.
The God who she knew and felt
had 'searched her out and known her' (Psalm 139:1)

She would rejoice that her life was transformed.
She acquired a new confidence in Christ
She had no desire to flee
So delighted was she that she had been found.

It would be remiss of me today not to remind each one of us
that what Nancy found
is available for each of us.
Jesus stands waiting for you.
As he stood waiting for Nancy.
Saying…I am the Way, the Truth and the Life

Is he speaking to you today
can you have courage, as Nancy did,
to say…I will follow your Way,
I will know your Truth,
and I will live your Life.

It transformed Nancy.
It made her a gift
for you and for me.
She in her death is reminding us
of the gift that Christ is offering
each one of us.
To be the Way
the Truth
and the Life
for us, as he was for Nancy.

No comments: