Pages

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Singing our hearts out


During Lent & Easter we will be paying attention to some of the Psalms. Today, (February 26, Lent 1) we look at Psalm 25


When I was a very young boy
I used to sing on my way home from school
as I came home down the back lane 
I would sing all sorts of things
at the top of my voice.
And I did that
until one of our neighbours
said to my mother
“I love to hear Stephen singing his heart out”
Being 8 or 9 I never did it again!

When we think about the Psalms
we know of course that they are songs
and that they are prayers, and poems.
What we are trying to do
is get in touch with our heart.

In this world that is not always easy to do.
8 year old boys  may have difficulty
when confronted with their own emotionalism.
Men can be rather like too.
But probably all of us are so affected.
What is really happening in our hearts.

So this Psalm begins:

To you Lord I lift up my soul.

It is an attitude of openness to God.
St Augustine reminds us that when we worship, when we pray
when we come to God
We are not so much trying to tell God what we want
but allowing God to show us who we are
and what is going on in our life.
St Augustine says:
Noverin te, noverim me
Let me know you, that I may know myself

And so this Psalm begins with that expression of trust
I do trust you, God,
to deal properly with me.
The Psalm lists some the things that which probably
and properly concern us:
our enemies, our shame, God’s will, the truth
our past, what is right…and God’s promise
What does the Psalmist say about these areas of deep concern…

Make me to know your ways, teach me your paths

The key to this is not solving problems
but rather to allow God   to show us “God’s way”, “the truth”
(One looks at the present political machinations
and recognises what happens when we think
we know what’s best, and the depth of the heart)

This is the deep song of our heart.
Some of it is joy, and some of it is lament.

But the key lies in opening it up to God.

Don’t stop singing.
I was pleased when S got married
that when she was telling me why D thought
our family was strange
“You sing at each other all the time!”
I notice he does it now too!

The promise in this Psalm is that God is merciful, kind and loving
That God is faithful to his promise to us.
So we don’t need to be frightened of what God might do or want to do
All things are working together for good.
God does not want us to perish but have eternal life
The way that God is leading is the way we need to go.
We don’t always get it,
but faith enables us to trust God.
Because God (unlike you and me and a Gillard or a Rudd)
is good and upright.



Psalm 25 1-10
To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul. 

O my God, in you I trust;
   
do not let me be put to shame;
   
do not let my enemies exult over me. 

Do not let those who wait for you be put to shame;
   
let them be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous.

Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
   
teach me your paths. 

Lead me in your truth, and teach me,
   
for you are the God of my salvation;
   
for you I wait all day long.

Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love,
   
for they have been from of old. 

Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions;
   
according to your steadfast love remember me,
   
for your goodness’ sake, O Lord!

Good and upright is the Lord;
   
therefore he instructs sinners in the way. 

He leads the humble in what is right,
   
and teaches the humble his way. 

All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness,
   
for those who keep his covenant and his decrees. 

No comments: