Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

And loving it - all day long

During Lent & Easter we will be paying attention to some of the Psalms. Today, (March 25, Lent 5) we look at part of Psalm 119. Verses 9-16 and also some thought on the Gospel which is John 12:20-33


I am always struck by the little passage in John 12 where those disciples are asked by some outsider to let them see Jesus!
It is, in a way, what every Christian is asked ever day of their life
To let people see Jesus
in the quality of their words and  thoughts
and the integrity of their actions.

This indeed is what this great long Psalm is about. It is 176 verses long
[Immediately we suspect something suspicious
because 176 is divisible by 22
and we remember that’s how many letters there are in the Hebrew alphabet
so, yes, it’s a beautiful acrostic poem
each of the eight lines of each section begins with the same letter.
This is section 2 and begins with the letter B or Beth]

And it says this (22 times over)

  • Live according to God’s way
  • keep the rules
  • treasure the gift you have been given
  • and do what is right
  • not what is wrong
  • Let every day be a day that I seek to do this better.
  • Let me speak it
  • let me learn to love it
  • to not be distracted by materialism
  • and to ‘meditate on it’
  • keep my ‘eyes fixed on it’
  • and to keep at it

This seems pretty important stuff!

Live it and breathe it.

I think this passage in John 12 is reminding us of that too.
As Christians people are saying to us
"We want to see Jesus"

What does this mean?
I don’t think it means that we should be able to explain the Creeds
or the nuances of esoteric doctrine
It does mean that they should see in us
people who take the life and teaching of Jesus seriously
Can this be said of you and me?

Do we forgive, as God forgives?
Heaven knows we pray that often enough
"Forgive us as we forgive those who sin against us!"
Do we love those who no one else loves?
or are we only interested in loving the lovely?

Is our life given to truth telling
and confronting religious hypocrisy

All sounds a bit too hard

Lent at the very least reminds us that we have a serious job to do.
People want to see Jesus.
And they are asking you and me what that means.

James Mays says about this Psalm. It is about two things.
Obedience.
Hearing the word of God and doing it, following its commands, its laws and its way of life.
and Faith
learning more about God, 
and what it means to trust God.
And he says this constant recurring theme is this….
God calls for both obedience and faith and faith that obeys, and obedience that believes

I worry that sometimes I, we, are neither obedient nor faithful.
And we wonder why people don’t see Jesus!

Neither of these ways is easy, they go against popular mood.

Jesus goes on to tell the new seekers
that life is about service
that great love is about laying down your life
it’s like being buried and then being born again
This is both a metaphor and a truth

Even Jesus wants this to pass!

Live the law
Do what it says
Live the law
Believe what it says.


Psalm 119: 8-16…
How can the  young  keep their way pure?
   
By guarding it according to your word. 
With my whole heart I seek you;
   
do not let me stray from your commandments. 

I treasure your word in my heart,
   
so that I may not sin against you. 

Blessed are you, O Lord;
   
teach me your statutes. 

With my lips I declare
   
all the ordinances of your mouth. 

I delight in the way of your decrees
   
as much as in all riches. 

I will meditate on your precepts,
   
and fix my eyes on your ways. 

I will delight in your statutes;
   
I will not forget your word. 





Take time this week
                If asked about Jesus what would you say he tells you to be?
                What does he ask you to do
                Is there someone he wants you to forgive?

What are the promises of God?
                What should I pray for this week?  

No comments: