Pages

Monday, April 02, 2007

State of Denial-Tuesday in Holy Week

John 13:21-38

Jesus Foretells His Betrayal

After saying this Jesus was troubled in spirit, and declared, ‘Very truly, I tell you, one of you will betray me.’ The disciples looked at one another, uncertain of whom he was speaking. One of his disciples—the one whom Jesus loved—was reclining next to him; Simon Peter therefore motioned to him to ask Jesus of whom he was speaking. So while reclining next to Jesus, he asked him, ‘Lord, who is it?’ Jesus answered, ‘It is the one to whom I give this piece of bread when I have dipped it in the dish.’ So when he had dipped the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas son of Simon Iscariot. After he received the piece of bread, Satan entered into him. Jesus said to him, ‘Do quickly what you are going to do.’ Now no one at the table knew why he said this to him. Some thought that, because Judas had the common purse, Jesus was telling him, ‘Buy what we need for the festival’; or, that he should give something to the poor. So, after receiving the piece of bread, he immediately went out. And it was night.

The New Commandment

When he had gone out, Jesus said, ‘Now the Son of Man has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify him in himself and will glorify him at once. Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, “Where I am going, you cannot come.” I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.’

Jesus Foretells Peter’s Denial

Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, where are you going?’ Jesus answered, ‘Where I am going, you cannot follow me now; but you will follow afterwards.’ Peter said to him, ‘Lord, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.’ Jesus answered, ‘Will you lay down your life for me? Very truly, I tell you, before the cock crows, you will have denied me three times.

This is a powerful passage. Some years ago when I was preaching about Peter I was talking about this passage and the corresponding one after the resurrection when Jesus restores Peter after his denial.
I started to cry and I couldn't stop.
I have always wanted to be the sort of preacher (like John Wesley) who the Spirit can use to move people to tears, but didn't quite expect to be the one who was moved myself!
Why did it happen. I can only conclude that it is because I am Peter; we all are Peter. Filled with bravado, and bold words. But not given to depth, and easily distracted.
Certainly I am like this.
But the tears come not from the fact that I have disappointed myself. The tears came from the profound sense of acceptance that God offers to each one of us.
God does not demand high standards, he rather comes to us at our lowest ebb intent upon making us whole. The Pharisee in us doesn't easily get this. We want to be self-righteous. But have no reason to be so!
Where do you see God inviting you to come back to him. Where does God want to respond to your weakness and forgive you?
Can you admit addiction, depression, failure, sadness...sin?
Why not allow that restoration to happen and let God to restore you?



No comments: