Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

If it were not so

Thinking about John 14
(some will know which particular Georgian mansion this is, here, it featured prominently in my childhood)

The early part of this chapter is often read at funerals.
I guess it is meant to remind people that we do not just sink into oblivion when we die
But in the last few days I have had a different sense of this
Do not let your hearts be troubled
believe in God believe also in me
in my Father's house there are many mansions.
If it were not so
would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you.
I think we get distracted by the mansions!
(One of my friends is certain  that he wants a strictly Georgian mansion!!)
But for me it has been about dealing with anxiety...Do not let your hearts be troubled
And the key (Jesus is saying) is believe in God which also means believing in him
This rather emboldens me to remind people
that the way to address their uncertainty/anxiety
is to at least try to come to a place of belief.

I think we current mob of Christians (myself included)
have a lot to answer for in the way we have become timid
I have no doubt that I should be encouraging people who are troubled
to believe.

But it is perhaps the latter part that has been rich for me
in the last couple of weeks
(thank you Ignatius for such wonderful exercises!)
If it were not so...would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you
This is Jesus speaking to me  and you simply saying
do you think I am playing games with you?

And MY answer is No.


Lord I believe...help my unbelief!

No comments: