Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2013

The last meal

We hold meals to be very important.
So if we were told
"This will be the last chance
we have to eat together"
We would no doubt
think carefully about what it is that we would do and say.
(I am conscious that my own father died in the middle of a meal)

No fish and chips on our laps
whilst watching the telly
or grabbing a sandwich to eat in the car
(some very strange things have happened
to our eating habits since life sped up!)

There are no doubt
speeches
some impromptu
some well rehearsed.

Where would it be?
What's on the menu?
What might we say ?

All this is meant to come together in our thoughts about Eucharist, the Last Supper, Good Friday

Jesus says to his disciples
"You should was each other's feet, as I your Master have done for you"

An important idea is that meals
Suppers, lunches, breakfasts
reflect what our lives might be like

The ideas presented to us in Eucharist
because we call it a meal
an important meal
a last meal

are words spoken to us by Godself

Become what you receive,
serve as I have served
my body is broken as an act of love and forgiveness
my blood is shed so that we may be united
drinking from the same cup

This is the very Communion with God
through Christ.

Take eat, this is my Body
Drink this my Blood

No comments: