Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Believing when you don't believe


Believe it or not
I know that some of us here tonight
find the experience of Church 
really difficult.
Let me tell you 
there are times when I  myself find it really hard.
You only have to sit there
and can shut off if you want
But I have to stand up here
and try and make some sense of it.
Some days I feel tired, and/or depressed
some weeks I just think
life has been 'too hard this week'
What ever it is I believe
doesn’t seem to be working this week.
What ever I once seemed to know
from my childhood, youth and ministry
from last year, yesterday
Some days it seems different

As a friend and minister of Jesus
I need to tell all of us
believers or not
don’t make the mistake 
of thinking that the Church is Jesus.
And don’t make the mistake of thinking
that it is the Church that is important.
Because one of the things that I DO know
is that it  is Jesus that is important

So tonight I want us to think about Jesus!

I thought we could do this by thinking about the prayer Anima Christi...or Soul of Christ...we will sing it in a few moments

Remember that this prayer is the language of the 14th or 15th century
so, in a way, it needs to be translated...
the language is not quite the same
and our hard hearts 
may not hear the powerful poetry
as we say 
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
do we hear the power of  this language
the water that issues from the wounds of the dying Christ
Let me enter the experience of death.

May the experience of Jesus make me drunk
Blood of Christ, inebriate me

May the food that Christ feeds me 
transform my body
Body of Christ, save me

now what does this mean?
What ever else the experience of  Jesus means
It does not mean Church!
It does not mean doctrine!
By and large  it does NOT mean all those things which turn us off Christianity.
The key things that Jesus is on about are simple
Love...unconditional
Forgiveness...without end
Acceptance and openness....
As we hear the Anima Christi
try and decode it
to hear how it might speak to you.
Soul of Christ Sanctify me
...what do I want my soul  to be like
Within thy wounds hide me
...what woundedeness of society, friendship and life
 has impacted me and drives my life
That with thy Saints I may praise thee
who are  the Saints  the community of good people
who are supporting and calling you to live better  lives

Can I, as an Evangelist, one who calls you to Christ
also at least name the possibility
that meaning, purpose, sense...what ever
that that is what is called Jesus
and invite us all
(however tentatively) 
to come to Jesus tonight

Soul of Christ, sanctify me

Body of Christ, save me

Blood of Christ, inebriate me

Water from the side of Christ, wash me

Passion of Christ, strengthen me

O good Jesus, hear me

Within Thy wounds hide me

Let me not to be separated from Thee

From the malicious enemy defend me 

In the hour of my death call me

And bid me come unto Thee

That with thy Saints I may praise Thee

Forever and ever

No comments: