Pages

Friday, December 23, 2011

Robust Christmas

Let's think a bit more about Christmas.
There is a wonderful selection of readings over the Christmas season. Take your pick or read them all Psalm 96; Psalm 97;Titus 2:11-14;Titus 3:4-8;Isaiah 9:2-7, Isaiah 62:6-12,Isaiah 52:7-10;Hebrews 1:1-12;John 1:1-14;Luke 2

Since I celebrated Christmas last year
it has been my great privilege to visit the Holy Lands
(I use this term in plural form advisedly)
so Bethlehem takes on a whole new vista of meaning
Bethlehem is surprisingly close to Jerusalem
many may not realise
that Bethlehem is in the Palestinian domain
known as the West Bank.
we often think of this
as being war-ridden
and centre of much conflict.
Some of that reflexion is true.
Last year and the year before
it was particularly difficult for pilgrims to be in Bethlehem
because of tight (often bizarre) border controls
that the Israeli government imposes.
It is just so sad.
One of my key reflexions this year
has been of of the handsome 23 year old Palestinian
who spoke to us about life in
The Daihesheh Refugee settlement.
It is unimaginable for those who live in the
Privileged World
to realise that people live, have lived
and look as though they will continue to live
in situations of helplessness,
at the mercy and whim of unresponsive government
to their plight.
That young man said of his lot in life
"I was born here, I grew up here, 
I do not want to die here!"
I found these words chilling. Not the least becaus I don't feel I can do much to help him.

This year our Christmas collections will be directed towards that refugee settlement
They might be used for the library
or the children's education program,
or the collective of women seeking to make a constructive life.

It won't make much difference (even if we send $2000)
except in your life
and mine.
We at least, this Christmas
might say,
however tentatively
there is more to life
than my pleasure.
I may not be able to solve the world's problems
But, I do believe God can and will.
And I commit myself to that.

No comments: