Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

The greatness of God

Readings for Sunday Jul 17, 2011, 16th Sunday of the Year, Gen. 28:10-19a. Ps. 139:1-12,23-24. Rom. 8:12-25. Matt. 13:24-30,36-43.  


In the way of things 
it is a great privilege to be able to share Christian worship with other Anglicans
particularly when overseas
I have on a couple of occasions  
been privileged to worship at St Andrew's Singapore. 
A few years agoI was reminded how precious a thing Communion is. 
Being an Anglican it is often taken for granted, 
(There is a sense in which Anglicans have not taken Communion seriously in latter years
The Anglican Communion which once seemed so important
seems to have been dismissed out of hand by so many in latter years....but that's a blog for another occasion
Any way, back to St Andrew's......when the 75 year old sidesman 
found out I was a priest 
he enthusiastically encouraged me to "come and take Communion with us". 
I did...and encountered the presence of the risen Jesus. 
As is so often our joy and privilege when we break bread and drink wine
as the Lord commanded us
At the end of the service, 
the packed cathedral sang that curious song 
(sung by the King here
How great thou art! 
I collected pamphlets 
about 8 weeks of thematic common teaching on Prayer ...I read them but have not tried to implement their program
And I felt encouraged. 
As we rejoice during this season in the common call to faith. 
Pray that we may keep our eyes fixed on the greatness of our God.

Then sings my soul, my saviour God to thee O Lord my God how great thou art


No comments: