Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

What do we want to know?


This is a reflection on a week of great floods in Australia and will be the substance of my Sunday sermon. A reflection on the Lectionary readings for this Sunday, 16th January 2011 is below..What are you looking for?

As I began to think about what we want to know at a time of great human catastrophe
I started to draw a mind map (above)
to give some framework to what I might even begin to say
it quickly became apparent that we have a lot of questions
and all sorts of things are flying around our minds
at this time.
So I won't even attempt to address all the questions.

Simple answers to difficult questions
There are many difficult questions aren't there?
Why do some people survive and other people die?
Why does a once-in-a-100 year flood happen two years in a row?
Where, we as people of faith might ask, is God in all this?

One of the problems is that these questions are difficult questions
so we wouldn't and shouldn't expect that the answers are any less difficult.
Indeed, in the book of Job, where this whole question is teased out
Why do bad things happen to good people?
Part of the answer that is given there
is that we cannot fathom the complexity of such situations
and that we do not know the mind of God.

This does not mean that we should not seek understanding
but we should proceed with caution
and with the humility
that we may not comprehend everything
and indeed we will never know all the answers.

Important versus impotent
I wrote also to someone who is involved in the CFS
that I spent my wakeful night hours praying for this disaster
and often as I have thought of this young man
I pray for him when he is out fighting fires.
I also made the observation:
that this often seem impotent
Though I am a firm believer in prayer
it doesn't often seem to do what we want.
(Often we want far less than God wants to give)
But I also observed that feeling powerless, impotent
is an important understanding about how people must be feeling at this time.
And maybe prayer is not so much an exercise in
getting God to do our bidding and fix things up
as it is a statement of solidarity
with those for whom we pray.
Be they the sick, or the needy
or even those who celebrate and when we give thanks
Prayer opens up a way to stand alongside others
and this, it would seem to me,
is probably the most important thing we can do.
As we look at what God is doing in Jesus
when he dies on the Cross
he does not take suffering away
so much as stand alongside us
in solidarity.

When we are praying for others
we need also to recognise this solidarity is an important stance
and so alongside the important prayers we offer
there is another question to answer
and how might I act in solidarity with my neighbour

Solidarity
Most of us will struggle with that one.
We will often know that solidarity
is about giving of ourselves
Jesus gives himself
That may mean time, energy, an ear
Sometimes all we can do is give money.
I urge you to be generous.
In the weeks to come there will also be the need for us as the Church
to think about how we can help our sister churches in these affected areas.
We don't need to solve that today
but I flag it for the future.

This is an important and sad time for our nation.
There are no simple answers to the difficult questions
There is a call to stand in solidarity with those those in need
-- through prayer
-- through practical action
There is a call to be generous.

May we respond well to these challenges.

No comments: